The Air Force Prep Huskies were in town as part of the annual Battle in the Valley game sponsored by Paul Benson and Virtual Communications Specialists.
The TVCC Cardinals scored a pair of quick touchdowns to start the third quarter, blowing open a tight game and cruising to a 52-24 win over Air Force Prep Saturday afternoon at Bruce Field.
The win improves TVCC’s record to 6-2, 4-2 on the year and sets up an important conference showdown against Navarro next week in Corsicana.
Saturday’s game featured a slew of big plays, but nobody came up bigger than Cardinal running back Nate Davis, who carried the ball three times in the second half for a total of 153 yards and three touchdowns.
– This game featured big-play touchdowns galore for the Cardinals, including:
- A 58-yard touchdown run by Ja’Quan Tillis on the Cardinals first play from scrimmage.
- A 41-yard touchdown pass from Jeremy Hunt to Deshon Moreaux.
- A 77-yard touchdown run by Nate Davis.
- A 32-yard touchdown run by Nate Davis.
- A 44-yard touchdown run by Nate Davis.
– Other TVCC touchdowns were scored by:
- Jeremy Hunt 1-yard pass to Dwight Walker.
- Eddie Godina 45-yard field goal.
- Jeremy Hunt 4-yard pass to Greg Clayton.
– Air Force had their own big-play strikes, scoring on an 85-yard pass and a 73-yard run.
– TVCC led at the half, 14-10. A key play in the half came with Air Force facing a 4th and 1 from the TVCC 35. The Huskies tried a QB sneak which the Cardinals stuffed for no gain.
– The Cardinal defense (Darkside!) came up with a pair of second half interceptions that helped swing the game. The first was by Marques Williams and the second came on a tipped ball and was intercepted by RJ Petaia.
– I expected to see a running offense from Air Force, but it was the Cardinal ground game that made the difference Saturday. The Cardinals had over 470 yards of total offense, including 280 yards rushing. TVCC had two running backs get more than 100 yards from scrimmage: Nate Davis had 161 and Ja’Quan Tillis had 104.
– Although the Cardinals did get two turnovers, they had the opportunity to get several others. Air Force put the ball on the ground five times, including twice on kickoffs, without losing it.
– Freshman QB D’Corian Young saw action for the second straight game. He is the fourth quarterback the Cardinals have had to use this year.
– One place TVCC struggled Saturday was in pass protection. Air Force sacked QB Jeremy Hunt five times.